Monday, February 24, 2014

Back to Your Regularly Scheduled Program...

I just got off the phone with my nurse.  She's been out of office for the past several weeks on vacation, so I've been spending my first unmedicated IUI and my medicated cycle thus far being juggled by the rest of the nurses on staff - all very nice and helpful, but not familiar with my case, including the very nice (and apparently new) nurse who called yesterday and got my hopes up with talk of an IUI this cycle.

My nurse confirmed that it's timed intercourse this cycle.  So staying up until midnight last night was not required, I could have taken the trigger several hours earlier since the exact timing of an IUI is not required.  Oh well, a small price to pay!

So we'll have sex tonight and tomorrow, and then as much as possible.  Starting Wednesday, I will start taking Prometrium (a suppository that I use around bedtime to supplement my natural progesterone to support a potential - hopeful - pregnancy).

The nurse told me I could take a pregnancy test on March 13th.  I laughed and told her that I would likely (a polite way of saying "definitely") be testing out my trigger so that I could test sooner.  She chuckled and said that she would likely do the same thing in my situation, which felt good.  Sometimes it feels like this is all routine for the nurses; it is routine, to an extent, because it's their job - they do this every day.  But for a nurse to recognize that impatience is part of the process for me felt good.  This isn't my routine - this is my life, and it's exciting and scary.

So here goes nothing!  Let's hope this timed intercourse cycle works.  My hopes are significantly lower than they would be if we were doing an IUI, but they're still pretty high.  And I'm back to burning my bonfire of hope low-and-slow to keep it burning for several cycles if needed, rather than pouring gasoline onto that fire.  I can't afford to burn out.

1 comment:

  1. I am excited and hopeful for this round. Time for sexy lingerie, candles, and a bubble bath! :)

    ReplyDelete