Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Industry of Infertility

For those of us who have been in this game for over a year, we've all spent some money on this process.  From ovulation tests to pregnancy tests to vitamins to doctors' appointments, eventually it starts to feel like you're bleeding money.

And everyone has an answer - and usually it costs money.  Acupuncture, massages, Chinese herbal medicine, yoga, meditation, SoftCups/DivaCup, baby aspirin, Vitamin D, CoQ10 (or its more expensive derivative - Ubiquinol), L-Arginine, L-Carnitine, acetyl-L-Carnitine, Omega 3, DHEA, folic acid, zinc, selenium, combo vitamins like Fertility Blend for Men (or for Women), green tea, red raspberry tea, Vitex, maca root, horny goat weed (yes, that's what it's called), and so many more!

I've tried (and thus paid for) probably 80% of the above.  Let's see... out of the 25 things I listed, I count 3 I haven't tried (the last 3).  So for anyone looking for a miracle cure, none of those are it!

That's not to say none of them have helped.  My husband's sperm count went through the roof, and his motility jumped from 25% to over 80%!  Yoga and meditation have helped me feel less anxious.  Also add in therapy, which I didn't list as no one has ever told me it's a miracle cure (well, except my first therapist, who told me that she had a client who dealt with some childhood trauma that she had suppressed and then voila! Pregnant.  Add it to my list of reasons I wanted to punch that therapist in the face).

However, the more I look into infertility and my constant search for a solution, the more I find opportunists who are looking to make money off poor men & women who can't seem to get pregnant as soon as they would like.  I'm not talking about doctors - at least not most.  I think doctors - or at least hope - believe in their Hippocratic oath, to do no harm.  They're there to help us.  That's not to say IUIs and IVF and consultations and medications don't come cheap - they certainly can be the most expensive part of the process for someone battling infertility!  But I'm hoping they're not in it primarily for the money.

And I'm not saying acupuncturists and massage therapists or really, that any one person is in it for the money.  I'm sure there are plenty of people whose intentions are to help those of us who are dealing with this monster.  But man, there just seems to be tons of way to throw away a TON of money on this process!

So far, we've had 17 failed cycles.  I estimate I've peed on 3 pregnancy sticks on average per cycle (don't judge me!), 4 ovulation tests, bought $30 of vitamins on average per cycle, and several hundred dollars on myriad other potential solutions.  Altogether, I hate to estimate how much, but it's likely over $2000 already, even buying internet cheapies for the pregnancy and ovulation tests.

This month, we spent $650 on the IUI.  It's the first BIG CHUNK I have seen go out the door in one payment. In addition, I spent probably $30 more on a yoga/meditation DVD and other meditation tapes.  This month stings financially.  A failed pregnancy test in a week (because you REALLY think I'm going to make it much further than 9 DPO before I test?) will make it sting a lot more.

I can't help but wonder how much money some people make off poor people like me who just want a baby.  I can only hope that they have good intentions rather than seeing us as a cash cow.

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to say that I'm glad you finally got your IUI despite all the awful weather. I have my fingers crossed that you get your bfp! The 2ww is the worst. I am 10 days post trigger shot for TI. The wait is driving me crazy, but in all honesty I don't feel pregnant. My boobs feel bigger, but other than that I feel like I'm just due to get my period. I'm sad because this past time, they found a polyp in my uterus, which decreases the chances of an embryo implanting. :( FX for you!!

    ReplyDelete